We’re making so much progress – let’s keep going!
Earlier this year, thousands of you responded to Ofsted’s consultation on their new schools inspection framework. Ofsted have now published their new framework, and thanks to your campaigning, it’s a big improvement on the version that’s currently being used. There is now a far greater focus on ‘personal development’ of young people and much less emphasis on grades. But there’s still work to do, and we hope you’ll join us as we continue to campaign for inspectors to recognise the work schools do on mental health.
We want to see wellbeing at the heart of schools. That’s why we’ve also created resources for school staff to build their skills and make mental health and improving pupil’s wellbeing an easy and rewarding part of their job. You can now find over 40 of these brilliant resources on our website; from activity plans and tips to posters and booklets, covering topics like self-harm, exam stress and transitions. If you want to receive new resources in your inbox, sign up to our free 360° Schools Community for our bi-monthly e-newsletters.
Beano comic on body image
In this month’s Beano comic strip, our new character Mandi realises that taking the ‘perfect selfie’ isn’t all that. It’s the perfect conversation starter for under 11’s.
> Read More
#10K Your Way has begun!
It’s great to see so many of you completing your 10K in such creative ways – swimming across lakes and scooting to school! It’s not too late to sign up if you want to join in and help raise vital funds this June.
> Join 10K Your Way
Coping with Change
As we enter the final half term of the school year, many children will be thinking ahead of the changes to come. If your child will be moving to a new year group, starting secondary school or University this September, have a look at our top tips for how you can support your child during a time of change or difficulty.
> See The Tips
New on the blog this month…
- Mental Health and Song-Writing: 15 year old Tascha uses song-writing as a way of release and express her feelings. Here she writes about getting through tough times.
- 6 Things To Remember Whilst Watching Love Island This Year: Watching Love Island? We asked a group of young people to share their tips on how to look after your mental health whilst watching reality TV.
- Coping with Exam Pressures at University: Sitting University exams or meeting essay deadlines? Lydia (23) shares her advice on ways you can look after your mental health during this time.
If you’re worried about your child visit
for advice and info on getting help.
Also this month…
- Do you want to better understand young people’s mental health and support them through their teenage years? Book onto our Adolescent Mental Health training on Wednesday 3 July, London.
- Manage the risks and learn how to respond to Self Harm on our training course in Birmingham, Friday 5 July.
At YoungMinds, we’re leading the fight for a future where all young minds are supported and empowered, whatever the challenges.